Monday, March 9, 2009

6th March,2009.

An early start to get the 0700 hours ferry to the mainland , the penalty of living on the opposite "corner" of the island to the terminal! All progressed well,and got better, with views of a lovely immature Iceland Gull in the harbour at Tarbert as I took breakfast ( actually as I ate my lunch, due to falling asleep on the boat and missing breakfast! ).

The journey northwards was equally productive with excellent views of the Snow Goose within the Grey lag Goose flock at Craobh Haven. I was struck by the numbers of Grey lag Geese at various points south of Oban and perhaps it's not just us on Islay that are seeing an increase!

Disappointment finally struck with all gulls around the harbour at Oban being disturbed by activity on the "beach" and my having to move on and miss the possibility of seeing the Ring-billed Gull.

The journey up the Great Glen was mostly rather grey and dull and without anything of note. A landscape seemingly bereft of much life in the depths of winter but soon to become alive with song and colour. And so to Kirkhill where I'll be looking after my youngest daughters for the next couple of weeks or so!

No comments: