Thursday, September 1, 2011

Things seem static at the moment!! 31.8.2011.

I've long promised myself a visit to Holkham Hall Park where I had the time to do a full circuit of the area, as opposed to a walk through the woods and along the lake. So this was the day, plus I considered the exercise would do some good. It was really enjoyable, with a selection of woodland birds and endless encounters with fallow Deer. One major attraction for me is simply walking within tracts of mature deciduous trees of varying species which is not something on offer back home.


Around the back of the Estate and back towards the house, the residence of the Earl of Leicester, and a fine example a building in Palladian style. I stopped here to sit and watch over the lake, which had the usual species for late summer. I'm not sure about the reference to wintering Barnacle Geese from the Arctic, but having said that then saw a Little Egret on the shore opposite. Ten years ago I suppose we'd have suspected the origin of that species to possibly have been a local collection!! Having taken all that in I suddenly found moving off was a problem and had to remain "fixed" for quite a while (damned backs!). It took a while, within which time I could have been suspected of being a sculpture within the Park ("Man in Prone Position" by Rodin!! ).


Eventually moving on, and encouraged by a probable Hawfinch overflying the area, I drove on to Cley again. Little appeared to have changed so I settled in for another seawatch. Over the three hours 4 Great Skua and 27 Arctic Skua went through east, an adult Red-throated Diver and 5 Common Scoter flew west and a couple of Whimbrel went east. The most bizarre sighting was seeing a rather bloated dead grey seal moving westwards in the current offshore. Atop it was a very determined G.B.B.G attempting to feed while the carcase rolled and moved with the tide. After half an hour it what still persisting with its quest as I lost it to view!





No comments: