Friday, August 26, 2011

Hornsea Mere. 23.8.2011.

A nice afternoon, preceded by a busy morning of meetings, saw me travel over to Hornsea on the east coast of Yorkshire. My first duty was to take on the challenge of a "Whopper" breakfast at a local cafe, £5 worth of absolute value that saw me sustained for the rest of the day , all washed down with a pot of scalding hot tea!!

Hornsea Mere is vast, remains in private ownership although it used to be an RSPB reserve, under a form of licence, in past years. Its wintering duck populations are legendary, as are its rarities, and it's worth a visit at any time of year. I simply parked and took in the various sights on offer from duck and geese, to a variety of hirundines and a fly over Whimbrel. Nice relaxing birding at its best. Unfortunately the weather turned foul coinciding with a very convenient seawatching spot I'd found a bit further south down the coast. Nonetheless I had good views of feeding and passage Sandwich Terns off shore, a few Common Terns and odd Little Gulls. This episode proved to be the end of activities as the poor weather persisted and caused a premature "return to base". Ah well, a good day.

No comments: